The Early Years (Three to 5 Years Old)
As with all Early Years settings, our programme of education for Nursery and Reception aged children covers three prime areas (Physical, Personal, Social and Emotional and Communication, Language and Literacy) and four Specific areas (Literacy, Maths, Art and Design and Understanding the World). Children learn in whole class groups, small groups, individually and through accessing the high quality continuous provision in the setting.
Key Stage 1 and Key Stage 2 (5 Years to 11 Years Old)
In common with all maintained schools, our curriculum is guided by the National Curriculum which is divided into two distinct but inter-related stages for children aged 5 to 11 years old:
- Key Stage 1 – Children aged 5 Years to 7 Years old
- Key Stage 2 – Children aged 7 Years to 11 Years old
The National Curriculum comprises the following subjects at KS1 and KS2:
- Art & Design
- Design & Technology
- Languages (KS2 only)
- Physical Education
In addition to these subjects, we also teach Religious Education and Personal, Social and Health Education and Citizenship (PSHE). Children with special educational needs may follow a modified version of the National Curriculum.
You can find out more about the National Curriculum on the government information and services website at GOV.UK
Our curriculum is also enriched to enhance your child’s cultural experiences in a number of ways, including:
- Bringing theatre and musical groups into school
- Visiting local theatres and theatre workshops
- Providing educational visits – both day and residential
- Holding events in school, such as World Book Day and Fair Trade events
- Providing additional activities including Bikeability and Kidsafe training, extra sports coaching, additional cultural, arts and environmental activities
In addition, we run a range of extra-curricular activities throughout the year, voluntarily organised by members of staff and covering such subjects as art, music, games, chess, drumming and outdoor activities.
We are also able to offer musical instrument tuition for a wide variety of instruments including strings, brass, woodwind and guitar. Our instrumentalists enjoy the opportunity of playing in front of the school on regular occasions, including during assemblies and at our annual Music Concert.